Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wednesday Review.

I had a lovely time talking to my mama last night.
We talked about everything from food to boys to family to me being extremely homesick because I'm going home in a month.

All the while I'm trying to make pizza.
Now, I'm a great multi-tasker, but when I'm caught up with my mom, there's really no telling where my mind is going to go. I messed up, but it still tastes great!

I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust, whole grain mix.
It actually turned out really well.



Review:
The crust was the same thickness of a "hand tossed" pizza. It wasn't too thick which was good, because as much as I love carbs, when it comes to pizza, I want the toppings. Like most other GF products, the top was a little flaky. But it didn't fall apart and I loved that. I followed the directions on how to cook it before and after the toppings. That was the perfect amount of time to cook it all the way through and not leave it tacky or gnaw-y.
On top, I added red sauce from Trader Joe's. It was the only pizza sauce I could find that didn't have added sugars to it. It's actually a really good sauce and I've used it before. It's pretty neutral when it comes to pizza sauces. Tastes just like an original Ragu. I bet if you put extra basil or garlic in it, it could change the taste a little. I personally love chunky sauce, but this sauce is smooth.
On top of that, I put spinach, cage-free grilled chicken, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
It made about an 8-in pizza and I have half the dough for next week. The package said two-12 inchers or one 18-incher. So if you have a family, one pack could feed you all. The instructions say, if you split it, it can stay in the fridge for a few days. I'm testing it to see if it can last for a week in the fridge. If it does, then I might just start having a pizza night and try mixing up the sauces and ingredients to make it not so plain.

Overall:
I think it was really good! Nothing special in terms of pizza. But, it is fresh and I know I'm not putting crazy toxins in my body with these ingredients, so I know I won't have the "Pizza Regret" feeling in the morning.
The time from beginning to end was probably a little longer because I was talking to my mom and messed up the dough to begin with. But it is very easy to mix together and only needs to rise for 20 minutes. It cooks for 7 minutes, add toppings and 15 more. So it's definitely not a "quick" pizza, but it doesn't take as long as making from scratch.

[So my screw up was I added the water to the flour mix before adding the yeast. So, I just drained the water into another bowl, added the yeast and then re-added it back into the flour mix when it had sat for a while. I added a little bit of my GF flour to it at the end, when I rolled it out.]

My tweakings: 
It said to make in a mixer, and I just used a bowl and spoon. No kneading needed. It also says to put plastic on it to let it rise, I just put a wet paper towel. So maybe if I didn't mess up the yeast it would affect how the crust rises? Personally, I loved it as is, so I'll mess up each time.

<3XOT

No comments:

Post a Comment