Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Part Two: Mental Health

It's Mental Health time - Part Two of how to reach overall health.

I just need a disclaimer - I'm no expert on this part either.
As a matter of fact, I'm probably overly emotional. A "high feeler" as some would say.

Mental health is so complex - anything can shift your view on life.
- a bad eating day
- a bad work day
- a bad customer service day
- a terrible email reply
- a day you're bloated
- a day you're tired

You get my point.

But my four ways to maintain my mental health are relatively simple...or so one would think.
All throughout my life, I've struggled with each part of these.

First, my church puts it in good perspective, you need four to seven like-minded people to hang out with. Now, that's not saying you should dismiss any acquaintances, anybody who needs a friend, or hanging out with people.

What it does mean, is you need find four to seven friends that you can turn to about anything.
Your work struggles.
Your boy struggles.
Your mom struggles.
Your work successes.
Your boy happiness.
Your mom love.

I have found this helps the most, because you can bounce ideas off of them.
These should be friends that tell you exactly what's up.
"Don't go back to your ex."
"Don't eat that piece of pizza"
"Come drink some wine with me."
They're also friends that know exactly when you need a hug.

The next two go hand in hand.
Me Time and God Time.
Those two independent times will leave you refreshed and redefined.
You can evaluate where you're struggling and spend time talking to the One who totally gets you.
You will be able to find the pearls of solitude and peace that being with people just can't give you.
Even as an extrovert, I find it extremely important to have that time.
Even if it's sitting with a glass of wine and a book or in a coffee shop with your Bible.
Get off your phone and get your thoughts together.

My final point is to learn.
Read, read to learn.
Travel, travel to explore.
Do something that will make you grow as a person.

When I first moved to the Twin Cities two and a half years ago, I was so naive. I had no clue how to get from point A to point B. I didn't know there were restaurants here and no where else. I had no clue that getting four miles across the city could take up to 45 minutes in the morning.

But I read up on the city. I joined a church, I joined Facebook groups, I joined social groups, I went with friends and networked. And I learned. Then I was able to navigate.

Ask anyone. The person I was two and a half years ago is definitely not the person I am today. It's part of maturing and growing. It's learning.














This winter, this has been by most unhealthy part.
But I'm working on it. Especially the Me/God Time.
It's a process.

<3XOT

No comments:

Post a Comment