Thursday, March 27, 2014

Basketball Life Improvements.

Man, I wish I could've seen it.
Two techs, a mini-fight, raining threes, buzzer beaters.
Of course I'm talking about the Pacers/Heat game. 
I just watched the highlights. 
I might've swooned over Paul George a little. Ok, a lot. I mean how could you not trip with a dunk like this?!?

It was intense. That reminds me of a talk I heard on KFAN radio the other day. 
About post play celebration. 
In the highlight clip, you can see Lebron sink a sick three and then put up the "A-Ok" sign by his eye. It's a symbol for THREE! It's a celebration. But like the DJ said the other day, why do they get praise for doing what they're supposed to be doing. According to ESPN he gets paid 19 Mill each year to play. So yeah, you better be sinking those threes. 
I get the idea that you're hyped up, a lot was riding on the line, you're visiting a team that could (And did) clinch the Central Division title. You're excited, but is that kind of celebration needed? I've played sports, scoring is a big deal. I get it. But, you're here for entertainment, not to pick fights on the court. If I wanted fights, I'll buy hockey tickets. (Which reminds me, why do I live in Minnesota if I don't even like hockey?!)

Take a look at the video and you be the judge, did last nights game go too far? Pacers/Heat Rewind

But that's not really why I'm mad. I just like to compare everything to basketball. 
I wrote a blog post about why I thought social media was ruining my life. Well today I came across another great article that helps articulate my uproar a little bit more. Read it here.

As people, do we need to celebrate each and every little victory in our lives. The second we do something, why does it have to go straight up to Facebook? Or Twitter? Or Instagram? 
Don't get me wrong, I'm just as bad as the next person. But why do we want to rub it in other peoples' faces that we're doing what we're supposed to be doing? 
So what if you happen to be Jimmy Fallon's producer? What does it matter if you swam with dolphins or hiked the Grand Canyon? Just because I want those things doesn't mean I'll never get there. You're at that point in your life, I am not. And quite frankly, I sleep the same no matter what you do. 

If it strokes your ego to post all about it, fine. Do it. But as the author of the Huff Post article says, "My suggestion? Make a call. Send an email to people you love. Heck, have a party. Let your actual friends know in person. Kind of a novel concept, no? And say you want those business associates you are Facebook friends with to know about your good news, your hard work? There's nothing like a update on your professional website to tell them all about it. You might also post a link to it. That keeps it professional and WAY less douchey."

Don't think people actually give you more praise because you're a 24-year-old business owner. Cause as much as they see you and your accomplishments now, they're going to be right there when you fail. It's part of life, the ups and downs. Just like the true fans won't get mad when you lose the big game. 

So this is my public confession that I will stop judging my opinions and self-worth on the one kid I did that one thing with that one time. Try it with me. See what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment