Monday, December 7, 2015

Overall Health - Can I Really Be Superwoman?

You know when you have a million things on your mind?
And you have a million things on your to do list?
And you have a bunch of people relying on you?

How do you do it all?
How do you become superwoman?

You take care of yourself.
You take care of your physical health.
You take care of your mental health.
You take care of your spiritual health.

I look back at last week and I sing "This Girl is on Fire" at the top of my lungs. My week consisted of coordinating for a Sunday shoot, prepping for youth group, connecting with friends, working out as often as I can, heading to Duluth for a film festival (and back the same day), and doing a Christmas bar crawl. Among other things.

This week, I ended up losing five more pounds, even though my cleanse is over.
That's the physical health.
I have continued to follow *most of* the rules. I have been eating nighttime snacks and my portion sizes haven't been that great, but I'm continuing to put wonderful foods in my body. And that has allowed me to do wonderful things.

Then, I took the ultimate physical health healing.
I went to my old Landlady, the sweetest woman in all the Twin Cities.
She adjusted me, massaged my knots, and guided me through some relaxing acupuncture.
You can find out more here.

It was a two hour session, where I was there.
No phone, no television, no computer. I was there.
My body was healed from the strain I've been putting on it, both physically and mentally.
My body had a chance to refresh.
Dr. Heidi taught me how and why my muscles felt the way they did and guided me through.

Which helps after weeks like this:
Where it seems like sometimes I'm running out of time.
Like sometimes I'm giving only 90% to someone or splitting my time unfairly.
Like sometimes I'm going to run out of time, or literally run around like a chicken with my head cut off.

The part of the week that I love the most is my connection with friends and loved ones.
That's the mental health.
My friends encourage me. They fight for me. They comfort me. They love me.
My friends help me process what's happening in my life - the good, the bad, the ugly.
My friends make me go out on pub crawls and dance like no one's watching.
My friends give me good food, good times, and good company.

I have heard some great sermons over the last couple weeks that remind me it's ok to not be superwoman and that it doesn't all happen at the same time.
That's the spiritual health.
I also have wonderful people in my life.
People who remind me that God is bigger than any of my tasks.
And I have prayer.
That reminds me that there is someone out there that is so much bigger than I am and has all my goals, to-do lists, projects, meetings, appointments, financials, plans, in His hands.

I'm still busy. I'm still running. I'm still to-do-ing.
But I'm taking care of myself.
I am Superwoman.



<3XOT

PS: I'll be breaking down each of these categories and sharing material that helps us all lead a healthier life!

No comments:

Post a Comment