Monday, February 9, 2015

I Am Not A Tree.

I wear heels and lipstick most days.
My favorite activities are yoga and cooking.
I eat spinach and quinoa.
I cuss and drink wine.

I'm doing a job I love.
I'm volunteering with my church.
I'm in two, well one and a half, leadership roles.
I put in 12 hour days, most days.
I've got a great group of friends.

If anyone would've told me five years ago that all this would be true. I would have laughed in their face. Five years ago, I wanted nothing but to move to New York to be the next Diane Sawyer. I wanted to be a new anchor for a morning show and live in a big city and get out of small town Indiana. I never wanted kids, pets, marriage, or anything that could slow me down.

My perspective has really changed over the last couple years. Well, mostly the last two. I have done a 360 on how I view the world, my life, and the people around me. It's taken some time and a lot of soul searching - I still regularly have break downs and epiphanies - but I'm working on opening my mind, body, soul…and heart…to whatever life will throw my way.

I wanted to share with you the Top Five things I've come to realize over the last few years.
In no particular order.

1. On living in the moment: It's always a journey. Nothing is now, because as soon as it happens, it's gone. And then we start looking to the past. It's more of a balance that I'm striving for.

2. On food: Food is poison or it is fuel. You have to choose how you're going to let it affect your body - for good or harm.

3. On growth: Never be afraid to ask why. People know far more than me in some areas, but I know far more than them in others. It's not a bad thing to want to learn.

4. On family: Near or far, doing anything for them is how you should live. Even if they don't do anything for you.

5. About relationships: People are going to test your patience. They will fail you. They will send your mind in a fit. People are human — and they're going to act like it.



Now obviously that's a very all-inclusive, vague list. But it's things that I've battled with for years, and even recently. It's a constant desire to better myself and others around me. I am constantly changing. Life is constantly changing. And I want to enjoy the ride.

But please don't tell my mom I like spinach.

<3XOT




No comments:

Post a Comment