Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Loss of My Home

There's a few thing about me that I'm not used to. I used to think being a free spirit would satisfy all my cravings. I'd meet new people and see new places. But there are a few things I miss out on by being away from the people I love.

I have felt this for a while, but now that I just did my love language quiz again, I realize that it's real feelings and not just homesickness. That there are some things in life you do *need* to be happy. And I know I will get there, no matter where I am. So for future friends...here's what you need to know about me. And the ones I have now, keep doing what you're doing. You rock.

#1 - Physical Touch
This is my top, and will always be my top Love Language. I need the hugs and the cuddling and the hand holding. It doesn't have to be romantic, although, I'm not opposed to that. But, shaking hands with 500 people doesn't solve my problems. Meeting more people doesn't do anything either. I need genuine people who want to watch movies with me. Or do physical activities with me. But it doesn't even need to be big. It could be putting your hand on my arm when we talk. Small things are just as important. But you've gotta mean it...

#2 - Words of Affirmation
This one is very difficult to differentiate. I don't need you to tell me I look good or that I have awesome hair (would would say that anyway?!?! haha!) I need you to affirm your feelings towards me. I need you to open up and speak truth to me. Just because you're talking to me, doesn't mean you're saying anything. Texting all day doesn't mean we've had a good conversation. Quality over quantity matters. Which leads me to my third point.

#3 - Quality Time
Being around people doesn't mean I feel noticed or loved. Just because I'm out in public doesn't mean that it's quality time. I'd rather have 2 hours with a group of people that I know actually care about me, then spend 10 hours sitting somewhere just having surface conversations with people.

There's part of me that likes the idea of being a "stranger in a city, where no one will know me" but there's also a part of me that needs close ones and needs the time spent with them. I'm getting there. It's all about progress. But, I can't help but think everyone I left behind...

No comments:

Post a Comment