Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Social Media is Ruining My Life.

Is social media ruining my life? Probably.
Am I going to stop using it? Probably not.

You may ask why it's ruining my life? Well let me tell you.
I think we should establish why it's making me so unhappy. Because Social Media has made me greedy and jealous. It has consumed every part of my day. If I'm not on it, I'm thinking of the next time I can scroll through and see what people are up to, or the next picture of food that I can't eat, or what article is going to change my life. And then there's Pinterest. It has become my obsession. I'm always finding myself going back to the page to see what items and outfits and snacks and clothes others have that I don't.
In steps the jealousy. I get jealous of what other people are doing. Like, why can't I have this life or that life? Why can't I be rich and buy new things? Why can't I pull off an outfit like that or go to a party like that? Etc. You should be catching my point. Jealousy makes me very unhappy, almost to the point of being vicious. Like, I could probably be so passive aggressive that I exploded. I'm sure it's possible. And I'll be the one to prove it.
Then, the greed. I want, I need, I wish, I buy. Do I really need this or that? Probably not. Especially all the foodie things. I wish for lots of glutenous foods. Like lava cake, pecan pie, cheesy lasagna, etc. I bet you're drooling too. I know I am. Not having those things that I think I want make me unhappy. And so then I feel like I can't be pleased and I feel worthless, like I've got nothing.

So you may be thinking, why don't you just get rid of it all? Well let me tell you.
It's not the Social Media, it's me. The way the world is going, Social Media is a big part of the industry I'm in and it's a big part of today's society. Asking me to take Social Media out of my life, would be like you asking me to stop drinking water. Maybe not that extreme, but it is a very vital part of what I do and how I communicate with loved ones in my life.
So, my plan is now to not let it rule my life. To use it as I need. I don't have to scroll through and wish I was still in school cause those were the best days of my life, or wish I was on vacation, or wish that I had a chocolate fountain on my desk at work. I can learn to control my intake of Social Media and on top of that, learn to control my desires.
I have so much going for me. Maybe not the same things that you have. But I've got stuff. And instead of focusing on what I don't have and being unhappy, I need to focus on what I do have and start cheering up.

I'm not going to say it's going to be easy, but it's a step. A step that will change my perspective on a lot of things, I hope.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment